Sunday, August 12, 2007

Get off the Road!


Why is it that we all turn into maniacs when we hit the roads? It's like a switch is flipped once we turn the key. (I'm guilty of this myself.) There are those of us who drive like we're in the middle of a nascar race and the car in front of us is the only thing holding up our winning the race. And then there are those of us who must drive 10 miles under the speed limit with our turn signal flashing a morse code message. The age or sex of the driver makes no difference.

As I had previously posted, I spent the weekend at my parents house. Which, is about an hours drive from my apartment. After loading up my now clean laundry and my trusty red backpack, I started out on the adventure that I call the trip home. I should start out by mentioning that there is road construction on my usual route so, I had to follow a detour. Everything was going great for the first couple minutes. Then the fun began... A car pulled out infront of me and proceded to go 40 mph on a 55 mph stretch of road. Ok, the game was on. I passed her and continued down the road where I came to the posted detour to get back to the original road I needed. The light turned green and the car infront of me just sat there and sat there. (8 cars could have turned left in the amout of time that it took them to turn.) While I was waiting for the car in front of me to turn, a car full of teenagers zoomed up behind me. Riding my bumper and honking all the way. This was where things got really interesting. The car full of teenagers thought it would be fun to, "show boat" with me. They alternated tailgaiting me and then speeding up and then cutting me off. Flipping me the bird the whole time. This went on for miles.

Things finally calmed down and I was in the home stretch. One more left turn to make and I was home free. But, alas... I was not so lucky. The car infront of me decided that he wasn't sure that this was the place he wanted to turn and slamed on his brakes mid turn in the middle of the intersection. While there was plenty of time for both him and myself to make the turn, the sudden slamming on of the brakes brought the oncoming traffic uncomfortably close. The other driver finally decided that this was indeed the way he wanted to go and we both made it through the light with seconds to spare. I can't wait for the game to begin again tomorrow morning on my way to work.

No comments: