Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"I hate him too..."


Have you ever accidentally hit reply to all instead of reply when responding to an email? I was responding to a friends email and ended up hitting the reply to all. Shortly after I hit send, I got a strange response a few minutes later. Confused as to why I would be getting a "Please remove me from your mailing list" email, I opened it up. A lady who I had accidentally emailed wrote me saying that she didn't know who I was, but didn't want me to email her again. I wrote back and explained that I was trying to reply to my friend who is also her friend and hit reply to all by accident. (Let me add a quick note here.. at the time I had a signature on my outgoing emails that said "From Refhater; It's always the Referee's fault!") She wrote back and had me in tears laughing. She wrote that she understood about the reply to all thing and added at the end, "My husband is a referee and I hate him too sometimes.."

I went out to eat tonight and they had the Tigers game on at the restaurant. I sat there wondering if profession athletes act like they do during a game when they go about their day to day life. Is it like a switch that they turn on and off at game time or is it part of their daily routine? Can you imagine going to the grocery store and seeing someone do a "batters box ritual" before picking out a package of chicken breasts? (Crossing themselves three times, shrugging their shoulders, & walking around with their back pocket untucked.) Or, seeing someone blow their nose by closing one nostril and blowing or spraying their water bottle over their head while they operate the copy machine at work like hockey players do? Do refs/umpires send their kids to their rooms with a "That's it Bobby, You're outta here..?" Do NASCAR drivers go way out of their way on road trips, just so they only have to make left turns? Do NASCAR drivers pump their own gas into their personal vehicles or go to the full service gas stations? Do golfers mow their own lawns?

Next time you watch a sporting event, watch the players and imagine them doing their rituals somewhere like the bank or the grocery store. You'll get a good laugh.

That's all for tonight folks... See ya tomorrow.


No comments: