Sunday, November 18, 2007

MO-MO and other hunting stories.

As promised, here are the 2007 hunting stories....



Thursday, November 15th. We're up at the crack o dawn. (4:30 A.M) We stagger out into deer camp central. (Also know as mom and dad's garage.) Dad, uncle Dave, my brother Bill and I all running on autopilot and adrenaline as we had stayed up far too late the night before. It's a 25 minute drive to the hunting property, so we can't dawdle too much.



The weather report shows a high in the low 40s and a low in the upper 20's. Windy with a chance for rain and snow. Sunrise came shortly after 7 AM. And the hunt was on. Around 7:10, I saw movement out of the corner of my right eye. The deer are starting to move. I saw 3 doe standing about 40 yards from my blind. I took aim at the largest one and fired. It stood there for a few seconds and then dropped to the ground. Spine shot just above the shoulder. She weighs approximately 150 -160 lbs. Everyone in our group got something on opening day. I got the only doe, dad got a 6 point, Uncle Dave got a 5 point, and brother Bill got a spike. Each of us have a combo tag which means that we could each get a large buck, a small buck, and a doe.

We hunt all day. We're out in our stands from 6:30 am to dark. So, after the initial excitement of my getting the doe, I was in for a long cold day. I sat there and watched about 15 other does cavort around. There was this small doe that was probably just out of fawn spots come around and stand like one of those target practice deers. The stupid thing came around 4-5 times and just stood around as if asking me to shoot it. I plotted to kill the stupid partridges that keep coming around sounding exactly like deer moving around in the woods. I read two books, and partook of my bounty of treats. (Going light on the liquids due to the fact that as a girl, I can't just go in the woods like the boys do.)

With the pressure off after getting my deer, I allowed my mind to relax and wander a bit. I was tired, cold, and on the down slope of an adrenaline rush. I started looking at my rifle for something to do to pass the time. (It's only around 8:30 at this point.) And I noticed some letters on the side of the barrel. I sat there and wondered, Who put MO-MO on my weapon? Then I realized that it said 30-30 not MO-MO. If you turn your head just right and are exhausted and freezing, you all can see it too right? (See photo above.)

Nov 16th. Day 2. Ok, Not quite as exciting as opening day. Dad got a 3 point that I had missed on earlier that morning. The biggest excitement was that our walkie talkies decided to act up that day. We could all hear each other, but were un able to talk back. All of us had problems with them at various parts of the day, so it made conversations interesting.

Nov. 17th Day 3. The coldest day so far. Today was slower than slow. I only saw 3 deer all day. My brother Bill got a really nice 4 point buck. I changed stands with my uncle with hopes of seeing a buck. At this point I've only seen 2. The 3 point that dad got and the BIG boy. Big boy is at the very least a 6 point with a huge rack. The only problem with that spot is that it's up in a huge pine tree. Not a major problem except I'm allergic to pine trees. And, I didn't see any more deer from that spot either. (So now I'm freezing, hungry,I have to go potty really bad, and itching like you wouldn't believe.)

Nov. 18th. Day 4. A day of rest. We decided to take a day off. There's 6 deer hanging from the post, so it's not like we have to go back out. We only get what we need for us and a few friends to eat, so we're not looking to get much more than the big boy. That and Dad and I have to go back to work tomorrow, so we have to get some sort of real sleep. And do laundry. We'll try one more time next weekend and then call it good.

Well gang, I'll talk at ya later. Hope you all had a good time.

Cya, reffie

No comments: