Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy Administrative Professionals Day!


Happy Administrative Professionals Day!

Administrative Professionals Day formerly known as Secretary's Day is an unofficial holiday observed on the Wednesday of the last full week of April to recognize the work of secretaries, administrative assistants, receptionists, and other administrative support professionals.

Over the years, Administrative Professionals day has become one of the largest workplace observances. The event is celebrated worldwide, bringing together millions of people recognizing support staff with gifts of appreciation. In the United States the day is often celebrated by giving one's assistant such gifts as flowers, candy, trinkets, special lunch, or time off. (Thanks Wiki!) And as an Administrative Assistant, today was my day. Or at least it should have been.

I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. Especially since I know the crew I work with. But like a fool, I expected more than I should. I expected a small token; a card at least. But alas, the only acknowledgement of the day was a belated "Happy Secretaries Day!" from 6 of the 25 people in the office and that was only after an employee from a outside department said it to me with them in ear shot. There was an "I almost made you a treat, but I forgot that today was the day." To put it mildly, I was disappointed. Especially due to the fact that I'm stuck covering the whole office by myself as the other secretary that I work with has been on vacation since last Friday. And I've been covering both her and my own shifts. Working 10+ hours a day. But like Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive!" I will overcome my disappointment at my secretaries day dis.

Today wasn't a total loss though. I keep my head above the water at work. I got it all done and done well. The day itself went quickly with it being so busy. I'm finished working 10+ hour days for the rest of the week. I was able to take a very nice 3 hour nap. Only slightly burned my dinner. And got my wish for the Wings not play the Calgary Flames in round 2 of the playoffs. They're playing the Colorado Aves instead. I'm gonna going exercise (4 miles) and then hopefully go to bed early (before 1 AM.)

So, Happy Adminstrative Professional's Day to you all. I hope it was a happy one for you!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

65wed602
Little Leah asked about you when she got into the car on Wednesday. She said to her mom, Go to Grammys....How 'bout Grandpa...and JO JO. She's coming up to see you on Friday. Her love will melt your heart and make you feel like more than a secretary.

My boss forgot me too....Oh well...

Hilary said...

My boss told me to take myself out for lunch, keep it under $25, and write it off as "office supplies"...