Friday, August 31, 2007

Observations of a single woman...


If I were living back in the 1800's, I'd be considered an old maid. Well on my way to dotage. (For those who are wondering: dotage = a decline of mental faculties, esp. as associated with old age; senility.) Yes, at the tender age of 30 something, I'd be considered well past my prime. Just because I'm not married.

It's not from lack of interest or effort that I'm still single and searching. I've done the whole online match maker sites, the blind dates, going clubbing, and even going to the church singles group. Everyone of my co-workers, family, and friends are trying to set me up with a guy that they know. Heck, one of my co-workers is even trying to hook me up with one of her patients and another with her ex.

Maybe I'm just being too picky. My standards too high. I'd like the guy to have some sort of intellect, a sense of humor, a job would be nice, and I'd like him to get along with my family. I'm not too picky about his age, though I'd like to stay in the 5 year range either way. (I can do the older woman thing...) As I am a Christian, I'd prefer him to have similar beliefs, but they don't have to be the exact same as mine. I'm not one of those cram my religion down your throat types. And I do draw the line at satan worship. I don't mind if he has children from a previous relationship or even an ex or two. I'd like to have children at some point, so he'd have to be ready to be a parent.

My last few experiences in the dating world have left alot to be desired. There was the possessive jerk, the IRS auditor, and then the "Bad Country Song" guy. "Bad country song?" You might ask. That one only lasted for 2 dates. I'm almost positive that he was gay. (Not that I have a problem with homosexual people, I just don't want to date one.) The first date with him was great, we had a nice dinner at Bennigan's restaurant. A couple days later he called and invited me over to his apartment for dinner.

Date number 2 started innocently enough, I drove to the specified location and knocked on the door. (I noted the ballet slippers stained glass in the window, but thought that he must have a reasonable explanation for that.) After knocking about 10 times with no answer, I went back to my car and called him from my cell phone. Oops, he had told me the wrong apartment number. Ok, now I'm at his apartment and we're making idle chit chat while he finishes cooking dinner. The decor of said apartment consisted of an assortment of taxidermied animals and fish, some animal pelts on the floor, and statues of dead animals. (He's a hunter can you tell?) He goes outside for a smoke and doesn't come back for half an hour. Then as we sit down to eat, he proceeds to say "I don't know how to tell you this; I just don't know where I'm at right now." Ok, Now I'm a bit concerned.... He also tells me that he's totally drunk because he was so uncomfortable about my coming over and again that "He doesn't know where he's at right now." Needless to say that I left right after dinner.

I'm sure that Mr. Right is out there somewhere and someday I'll meet him and we'll live happily ever after. I just wonder when I'm going to run into him. (With my car or otherwise.) I sit there and watch people that are the totally gross (Sorry, but they are;) and people who are the scum of the earth hook up with significant others and wonder why/how I'm still single. And why do I seem attract all the odd balls? I don't need a romance book heartthrob (though I wouldn't mind one,) I'd be happy with a guy who's breathing and his meeting 3 or 4 out of 5 of my requirements wouldn't hurt.

Well gang, that's all for tonight. It's Friday night and time to hit the meat market for some beefcake! See ya'll tomorrow.


No comments: