Sunday, August 26, 2007

I'm going to pump you up...

Ok, we've all done it. Pumped the gas nozzle trying to get an exact dollar amount. Attempting to beat the gas pump gremlin at his own game and then losing as the .01 cent pops up at the last minute.

Since I was running on fumes, I had to get gas tonight if I intended to get to work tomorrow morning. My apartment is right next to 2 gas stations, so it wasn't like I had to go far to get it. And the price is fairly reasonable due to the "Waring" between the 2 stations. I decided to get $20 worth of gas, thinking that that would be enough to get me through most of the week. (I work 2 miles from where I live.) And if the prices go down by Wednesday, I still have room to top it off at the cheaper price.

I stood there pumping the gas watching as the pump neared the $20 mark. When it got to $19.75, I started the single pumps to round it up to an even $20. $19.80.... $19.92.. $19.98... One more pump to go.... And them BAM, $20.01. It's like those skill games you see at the arcade. If you can get the flashing light to stop at the marked space, then you get a "fantastic" prize. My reflexes aren't that good, unfortunately.

So, the gas pump gremlin wins again. Maybe next time I'll try the other gas station and hit the elusive jackpot of an even $20.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That stupid devil gets me every time too!